Medicine Administration Policy
We want your child to be healthy and happy at school! You can assist our Health Office by helping us comply with the New York State law for the procedure for administration of medication in schools:
1.Instructions for administering of medication must be in writing from the physician and include:
a. The name of the student.
b. The diagnosis/medical condition for which the medication is needed.
c. The name of the medication.
d. The dosage and time to be administered.
e. A list of possible side effects.
2. A letter must be on file from the parent/guardian requesting the administration of the medication by the school. Click here for a copy of a form you can use.
3. Medication MUST be brought to the school by the parent/guardian and in its original container. It may NOT be sent to school with the child.
4. Updated physician's orders and continuing prescriptions are required at the beginning of EACH school year.
5. All unused medications must be picked up by the parent/guardian before the end of the school year or it will be discarded.
6. All prescribed medications will be kept in a locked area and dispensed by authorized personnel only.
7. If any directions change on the prescription (time/dosage), the physician must submit the request in writing. A verbal or telephone request from the parent is NOT acceptable.
Did You Know?
The term "medication" refers to both prescription and "over the counter" drugs and treatments. This includes cough drops, antacids, and pain relievers.